Friday, March 21, 2008

A Nice Little Break

This week has been Spring Break for our family.  My dad's been off work and we've enjoyed hanging out together.  On Wednesday we visited a college that I'm considering about an hour away from our house and then went on to Fort Worth to stay the night.  That evening we meet some really old, great friends for dinner.  We had soooo much fun taking pictures and got some really great ones, but alas, our camera's memory card died and all the pictures are gone. Please pause for a moment of grief...

Thankfully, there was a Wolf Camera store about two minutes away.  The nice camera guy sold us a new memory card and got us on our picture taking way again.  We then visited the Amon Carter museum.  They gave me a photography permit and I was able to take loads of pictures.  Unfortunately, flash photography is not allowed, so some of the pictures are a little dark or blurry.  Here are a couple of the beautiful works of art that I was able to capture.

Spring Break '08 001

Spring Break '08 024

Spring Break '08 032

Dad and me outside the museum (see the little white sticker on my shirt?  That's my photography permit...I felt very important:)

After the museum we headed to the lovely botanical gardens of Fort Worth.  The weather was awesome and we really enjoyed our time there.

Spring Break '08 059  Spring Break '08 060Spring Break '08 063 I just love spring flowers!

Spring Break '08 089

The very nice lady who stopped to take our picture cut off Dad's head, I guess that's what happens when you're that tall!

Spring Break '08 100

Isn't that bamboo window cool?!  We thought it was awesome so, we took some more pictures:

Spring Break '08 102

Spring Break '08 106  These pictures were taken in the Japanese Gardens.  They used bamboo for nearly everything!  It was really amazing.  We've had wild bamboo growing in our yard for years now and are finally realizing what a blessing it can be!

Spring Break '08 108

You can't really see them, but that tree is full of white blossoms.  It was truly beautiful. 

That's all the garden pictures I'll post for now.  On our way home we took advantage of Sonic's Happy Hour and got some drinks.  I decided to take a few self portraits.  Here's one of them:)

Spring Break '08 125

 

Finally, (by the way, I've started a habit of very long posts and I'm having trouble breaking it) today we picked up some friends and went to CiCi's pizza and then bought some kites and went to the park.  It was the perfect day to do it because the wind was making it's presence known!

Hoekstra kids 002  Hoekstra kids 007

Hoekstra kids 008 Hoekstra kids 004

If you haven't already figured it out, we had lots of fun!

Well, that's all for now folks.  Enjoy this Easter weekend!  I'll leave you with a quote from John Piper out of his book The Passion of Jesus Christ (you can read it online here):

"It [God's sacrifice for us] is not a response to our worth.  It is the overflow of His infinite worth.  In fact, that is what divine love is in the end: a passion to enthrall undeserving sinners, at great cost, with what will make us supremely happy forever, namely, His infinite beauty."  -John Piper

6 comments:

Feeny Family said...

Hey Megan!! What fun!, gardens.... AHHH. we went to the Botanical Gardens last year and had a blast. Hanging out with the flowers is sooo relaxing:) Haha All of that clean, oxygenated air sounds great.
Happy Resurrection Day my friend:)

-Sarah-

Philemon 1:6 "That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus."

Evann said...

Hey Megan! Awesome pics! Sounds like y'all had a great time!

:( So sad, though, that the pictures didn't go through. Oh well...You're just gonna have to come back over so we can take some more! :D

Happy Easter!

~Evann~

Anonymous said...

Are we really "really old"???? Oh my, I guess we are since we have known you for 12 years!!!

Anonymous said...

Megan: These are great photos and commentary about a wonderful time with you and Mom and good friends. God is good to give me a wonderful family and some time to enjoy you all, especially in His great creation.

Love, Dad

Katrina Marie said...

Hi Megan!
Thanks for your encouraging comment that you left on my blog today! I just got your registration for the MQ retreat in the mail this afternoon, so it was very fun to put a face and personality with a name! I enjoyed looking at your blog as well. You and I seem to have several things in common as far as interests, values, favorite movies, and a love for chocolate. Most importantly, we both love the Lord, and that is such a rare quality in people today! I am looking forward to meeting you at the retreat soon!

Your sister in Christ,
Katrina

Ginger said...

So many great pictures!! I couldn't help but notice the snow-less grounds in your photos. Do you want some of my snow cover trees? I'll share!!!LOL

By the way,I found your blog on Anna Joy's. I had a lot of fun looking at your blog!
Ginger