Today I went to Chantmarle Manor. It was absolutely stunning. The house is magnificent and the grounds are breathtaking.
Dad and Mr. Martin had a meeting with the owner of the manor and offered for Mom and me to go along. Of course we wanted to go, but didn't realize how wonderful the experience would really be. Chantmarle is situated in the heart of West Dorset County, about an hour away from Poole. While Dad and Mr. Martin had their meeting Mom and I had a bite of lunch and strolled around the gardens with camera in tow:)
A view from the upper garden
Just part of the house
There are many lovely little gates scattered about.
Just over the bridge is a lush green area with grass and magnificent old trees...so quiet and peaceful.
Sweet flowers are everywhere.
The back of the manor house.
Mom was in flower heaven!
Look at the massive trees!
So much to look at.
A quaint old door.
Another part of the manor.
After wandering the grounds, we were given an amazing tour of the house. It seemed to go on and on! One room led to a hall which led to stairs which led to another room which led to another hall and up another stair case...on and on it went! It was all so elegant and beautiful. The manor is mostly rented for weddings...sounds like a good idea to me! Mr. Martin asked me when the wedding is. Dad reminded him I need a guy first. That's really inconvenient, because it is such a lovely place to go. Here are some of the rooms:
Part of the parlor. You can't see the really magnificent part: the fireplace. We were served coffee here in dainty tea cups with Victorian style sterling silver cream and sugar holders. I wish I could have captured the ceiling. It was amazing!
This window is an inside view of the window shown below.
On the tour, Davide (our guide) took us outside to the front of the house...spectacular!
Don't you just love the bathtub?
I think Davide said there are 16 bedrooms. I can only imagine what it must have been like hundreds of years ago (the house was built in the 12th or 13th century!)
Part of the game room on the very top floor of the manor (we lost count of how many stories the house is).
Another stately bedroom.
Part of the lovely kitchen where Dad and Mr. Martin ate.
Finally, Davide, our guide. I'm not exactly sure what his official role is at the manor, he gave us a tour, then dried dishes! He came over from Italy four years ago for a summer of lifeguard training and never left...I can see why! If you would like to go the Chantmarle Manor web-site, click here. If you ever come to this part of England, you must visit!
Well, I haven't kept my commitment of shorter posts...I'm sorry! There's just so much to share, I hate to leave things out.
Cheers!
4 comments:
yay! now i get to do the first-one-to-comment-victory-dance! :D
the manor is perfectly lovely! the posts are actually quite short compared with what your seeing and all the pictures you have, i'm sure :)! it's so big, and the decorating...well...i just might have to imitate some of it when i get a home of my own!
I LOVE old historic buildings that have been kept up to tip-top shape! The gardens are magnificent!
Sarah F.
P.S. This just reminds of Psalms 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showth His handiwork."
That was just beautiful!!!!!!!!! OH MY!!!!!!!!! Thank you THank you Thank you for not leaving anything out! We are so enjoying your vacation! Do not for one second make anything shorter!!! If there was an award for fantabulous blogs - you would win!
Oh my word! That manor is amazing! I wish I lived in a home like that! Wow.
The garden's are breathtaking! :-O
Thank you so much for these awesome pictures!!
~Evann~
Post a Comment