Friday, August 15, 2008

Having Fun...

and saying goodbye.

Yes, the time has come to bid farewell to friends.  From the very first day of our time here in the UK the Martins have made us feel at home and welcome. They have been our closest friends while here and we are so grateful for them.  Tomorrow, they leave early to go on "holiday".  That meant that today was the last day Mom and I would see them since we are leaving England on Tuesday.  Tuesday! It's hard to believe our "dream summer" has nearly come to an end...

Well, the Martin's continued their habit of hospitality by picking us up this morning for a day out.  First, we went to Badbury Rings and had a lovely walk...well, some of us did.  Poor Lizzy didn't know we would be walking so much and she wore her stiletto heels.   

Kingston Lacey 003

Badbury Rings is the site of an ancient settlement that has evidence of people living there 6,000 years ago.  They built these huge mounds that are so awesome...I can see where they would come in real handy in the case of an attack.

Kingston Lacey 007

The scenery is absolutely stunning...we couldn't capture it.

Kingston Lacey 012

There we are minus Dad who was taking the picture (and Daniel - I don't think you've ever seen that Martin son).

After our walk we sat down to a delightful picnic that Miss Sue had prepared for us...so yummy.  The only problem was that the sun was shining right down into our eyes from where Mom was standing.  The resulting picture appeared and I realized that I look like a complete dork (to say it mildly) and Dad looks really....cute. 

Kingston Lacey 013

Kingston Lacey 014

After our picnic we went to a magnificent house called Kingston Lacy.  Of all the houses and castles we have visited, this one felt the most "Pride and Prejudice" to me.  I just knew Mr. Darcy was going to walk around the corner at any minute.  I wish he had...

Of course, no pictures were allowed in the house, although we did get some good outside pics afterward.  But, first we had to stop for a cuppa tea. 

Kingston Lacey 019

We sat outside to have our beverages and found that Kingston Lacy has a real problem with wasps.  Yuck!  At first, just one was flying around.  It finally flew into Tim's cup and died from coffee drowning.  We relaxed, only to be greatly shaken when two more came around, then three, four, five...tea time was officially over.

Miss Sue and the kids left to do some packing for their trip and we said goodbye and gave hugs.  Mr. Jonathan graciously stayed and followed us around the lovely grounds.

Kingston Lacey 025

Ah, the joy of being barefoot on gushy grass...foot heaven.  There's Kingston Lacy house behind me.

Kingston Lacey 038

The English just know how to do flowers...there's no way around it.

Kingston Lacey 045

Look in the upper left window.  Do you see Mr. Darcy?!!

I couldn't either.

Kingston Lacey 044

The English really know how to do flowers (but I already mentioned that didn't I?).

Kingston Lacey 048

So, the countdown continues...just three more days, thirteen hours, 4 minutes, etc....until we leave England.  Let the fun continue.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie, this is Ms. Pam. Would you please tell mom that I got her message and I put you both down for Friday the 22nd @ 2:30. Hopefully that will be Ok. If not let me know when you get in and we will find something else. See you soon. LOVE the blog!!!

Anonymous said...

OH MY WORD!!!!!! THAT IS SOOOOOOOO PRIDE AND PREJUDICE!!!! JUST GORGEOUS (MINUS THE BEES/WASPS). I BELIEVE THESE PICTURES AND THE LAKE ARE MY FAVORITE THUS FAR.

COUNT DOWN UNTIL YOU LEAVE??? SAY IT AIN'T SOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Courtney said...

awwww... how sad. i am so very glad that you and Lizzy got along so well and that you two became friends while you were there! but i know that you will miss her.

btw, did you notice that in the first garden pic, it sort of looks like a happy face?! the two pink spots are the eyes, the round spot is the rather large nose, and the next almost square like spot the smiley mouth!! lol! :D yeah, i'm very tired, i just got back from dancing for 3 hrs.!!!

Hannah said...

We miss you so much Megan!! Can't wait till you come home!! =)

Anonymous said...

OH my word, Courtney! Ok so I thought the same thing about the flowers looking like a happy face. Great minds must think alike- no matter how tired those minds are. LOL! Looking forward to seeing you soon. OH AND- you have got to see this little nephew of mne!! He's almost as cute as my babies, know what I mean? No seriously, he is absolutely adorable in every way. You'll LOVE him!