Saturday, August 16, 2008

Who Would've Thunk It?

I can't believe it's the middle of August and I wore a jacket, jeans and scarf and was still cold!  It's not supposed to be cold in August for crying out loud!

Well, it is cold and my little Scottish scarf came in handy today.  We wanted to do some things that we've been meaning to do but have not had the chance.  We realized we're running out of time so Mom, Dad and I took the day and explored.  We went out to Swanage and Studland, two coastal towns about an hour away from Poole.  We rode on the double decker bus which always gives a great view from up top. On the way back it was open topped....brrrrrr.

Swanage and Studland 002

"Oh Daddy, hold me tight...it's cold."

Swanage and Studland 005

I love riding the open top bus...nice and breezy.

While in Swanage, I met the "perfect" guy.  We were meant to be...

Swanage and Studland 003

But he quickly forgot about me in his pursuit of money for the lifeboat association.  But, it's for the best since I'm leaving in two days.

We left Swanage (bigger town) and came to Studland (smaller town).  I love the quaint English towns. If it hadn't been for the beer festival going on it would have felt like something out of a movie.  (No, we didn't go to the beer festival).

Swanage and Studland 006

Swanage and Studland 007

We had one last official cream tea today.  We relaxed at an old hotel that had been a manor house at one time...great atmosphere.  For the history people, this is where Churchill, King George, Eisenhower, and other allied leaders came to observe an armed exercise in preparation for D-day in the bay just behind the house.

Swanage and Studland 010

Behind the hotel.

Swanage and Studland 013

They have lovely gardens on the grounds.

Swanage and Studland 022

Then we walked down a little path to the beach:

Swanage and Studland 021

We thought about walking over to those famous rocks (called Old Harry's Rock) but realized we needed to get to our bus.

Swanage and Studland 024

I know, this picture is a little scary...okay, it's A LOT scary.  What's going on with the hair?  This was on the open top bus on the way home.  It was cold, windy, rainy, and windy, and cold...you get the picture (literally).  But, I really wanted the "open top experience."

Swanage and Studland 028

Wheeee, are we having fun or what?!

Swanage and Studland 034

Then it started to rain.  That's when it got really cold.  Mom was smart and went down to the covered part but Dad and I stayed on top.  I tried to make the ride easier by saying things like "ya know, if you accept the cold it's not so bad.  Just act like you like it and you will."  Dad would grit his teeth, shiver and say "I love this cold..it's greeeat."

So, that's all for today.  Tomorrow is our last Sunday in the UK.  Just think, next week, the Lord willing, we will be back with our dear church at home.  The churches we've visited here have been great, but really, there's no place like home. 

Until later!   

5 comments:

Courtney said...

i can't tell you how thrilled i am that your coming back home, but, it almost seems sort of bittersweet. don't get me wrong, i want to see you and hear in person of your amazing experiences and see tons of pics! but, it must be hard to leave, especially after being there for 2 months! all the amazing and stunning things you've seen an done.

i'll be praying for your safety back to the States, and that it won't be too hard to say "see ya later", because, always remember, you may go back someday!

Anonymous said...

Where did the time go? It seems just like yesterday you left. The saying is true - "Time flies when you are having fun!" We had so much fun being on your vacation with you!! Thank you a million times over for sharing it all with us!!

Isn't there an award she can get for the most AMAZING blog ever?

Sad to see you leave England, the tea, Mr. Darcy, the flowers, the chocolate lady, the Martins, the chocolate lady, the weather, the lake, the chocolate lady, the castles, the chocolate lady, and the accent!

So happy you are coming home so we can go for a spot of tea and chit chat about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

By the way, Sweetie - what kind of camera do you use? Does is come with accessories? We are in need of a new one and like the quality of your camera.

Anonymous said...

Ah Megan, I'm so bummed. I was thinking you were going to find your one true love across the sea. OH well, I'm sure your daddy isn't too sad. I guess he can be your main squeeze for now, until God provides your beyond-imagination husband, and we'll be grateful to have you here teaching my little ones piano.
with lots of love,
miss ann

Anonymous said...

OH yea, can you stuff that chocolate lady in your suitcase with you?
And Megan, thank you for your superb work blogging your trip. It has been so exciting to see all the places you've been and feeling so much a part of it. YES, I think Miss casey is right. You deserve some kind of Best Blog award. We'll have to think on that. On behalf of all your blog fans, we aplaud your great effort to include us in your trip.
grace and peace to you,
miss ann
(again)