Sunday, July 06, 2008

I Have Problems:

Bath Day 2 089

Ok class, let's play the game, "What's wrong with this picture?" 

Yes, I was experiencing difficulty last night with my umbrella.  I've come to find out that it works great in the rain, but in the rain and the wind...it has problems.  But hey, I'm in England so it doesn't really matter.  We had a nice of day walking around Bath and learning more about what it was like "back in the day".  You know what I've come to find out? That I'm glad I didn't live back then.  Not only did they not have the modern conveniences that we take for granted today, but the society at that time was so...how can I say this sweetly? gross.  Yes, all the expectations, the pomp, the snootiness, the money and lack thereof, and the lifestyle.  I found it rather sickening after I learned more about it.  It took a little of my fairy tale view of the 18th century away.  We took a tour of the only house in the Royal Crescent that's been made into a museum.  Everything was like it was in Georgian times.  There were very knowledgeable guides in each room that were so helpful and informative.  The last room we went into was the kitchen.  The guide in that room was a kind, older lady that didn't mind talking to us and giving us a glimpse into what this time was really like.  For example, when a woman or man woke up in a bad temper, since it wasn't "proper" to take out their anger on their wife, husband, or companions, they would call up a young servant to beat.  Or, how the little boys and girls who worked at the homes only got to see their families 6 hours (yes, hours, not days) a year.  It was certainly not all "Pride and Prejudice" glory.  I'm not saying that this is how it was in every home, I know there were some wonderful Christian people who were rich and treated their servants right...this little chat just opened my eyes to the true sadness that was under the surface of the pomp and circumstance.  People tried to fill the vacuum hole in their heart with something beside Jesus and nothing could fill it.  And friends, nothing has really changed about that today, has it?

Now, on to the pictures!

Bath Day 2 005

Bath Day 2 010 

Daddy wanted to go up and knock on one of the doors at the Royal Crescent.  So, as he posed, I quickly snapped the picture and we moved on :)

Bath Day 2 021

This was taken in a Georgian garden that is open to the public. No photos were allowed in the house we toured.  It was actually nice not having the pressure of trying to get good pictures. :)  But, in this small garden we were able to take all we wanted to.

Bath Day 2 032

Pretty little flowers that Mom saw on the path.

Bath Day 2 041  

This is inside a building that has a fashion museum in it.  We didn't go to the fashion museum, but did go into the gift shops.  Got some cute stuff there.

Now, I thought it would be fun to get a hair and face makeover while in such a fashionable place.  It wasn't very expensive and it was so much fun!  Here's the end result:

Bath Day 2 044   

What do you think?  Funny thing is, Mom got the same makeover:

Bath Day 2 047

And the hilarious thing is, so did Dad:

Bath Day 2 046Ok, so it was only a mask. Ha ha ha!  But, really.  It was so funny.  You should have seen the people look!

Bath Day 2 048  

This is just a cool picture of a guy who had apparently been to market and got some cool veggies.  He was carrying orange flowers and looked so colorful.  (No, he didn't know I was taking his pic:))

Bath Day 2 051 

With all its majesty and glory, Bath is just an earthly city made of stone built by humans that will pass away.  One day, we will live in a city not made of hands, an eternal city where we will forever worship the King.  Dad said that when we get to Heaven, we'll probably say, "Isn't that funny, we thought Bath was so great...we had no idea."

Bath Day 2 055

The River Avon.

Bath Day 2 057

Bath Day 2 067 I thought these little guys were so bright and happy.  I love how flowers reach up to heaven.

Bath Day 2 068  

Ok, I know...I probably over did it on the flower pictures...but they're just so purdy!!

As the day progressed it started raining.  Just a drizzle at first, then a steady, windy cold rain.  Now, when I say cold I don't mean a cold where you say "oh, it's a bit chilly, I need my sweater" cold.  I mean a "where's my Siberian friend to lend me his parka?" cold.  Ok, that's a bit of an over statement, but to me, a Texas girl, I was really chilled to the bone cold.  So, we went into the Saturday Market and had some hot drinks.

Mom and Dad got tea and I decided to be adventurous again and try something new.  So, I ordered the Horlick's drink.  For all I know, it could have been a digestive aid since it had a picture of wheat on the front of the can the guy showed me.  But, it was hot and yummy and I haven't keeled over from Horlick's poisoning yet so I must be ok.

Bath Day 2 076

I was afraid I would forget the name of it so I wrote it on my hand.

Bath Day 2 079

In the same market, they had a flag stand, so I had to have a picture with my flag.

Bath Day 2 086 

We gave up on walking around in the parka weather and ate at this yummy place.

Well, that's all for now. I hope I was not too depressing with that first paragraph! Today, the plan is to go to the church of the guy whom Dad met Friday in the park and then head back to Poole by train in the afternoon.  One last picture before I go.  Dad got this one:

Bath Day 2 075

3 comments:

Feeny Family said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend trip! So how does it feel when it is bright and sunny at 9pm? That would sure be really weird.... It gets dark here at 6pm. Makes your days feel shorter, that's for sure... Happy late fourth to you too:-) We had a different experience over here... NO one celebrates it! That shouldn't be a surprising fact to me, but somehow I really miss the country BBQ dinner and the fantastic firework shows, and I guess all the patriotism.... It came and went just the same:-) We enjoyed a nice quiet potluck dinner with some neighbors:-)..... I LOVE all the pictures you post!!!!!
That is really great that your Dad had a nice visit with a man at the park! Sometimes God brings us unexpected opportunities! Wow, I just realized how much I'm just rambling on.... better end it here:-)

Bear hugs to ya!
Sarah
(The lush, juicy, bright, vivid green grass I saw in one of your pictures reminds of Psalms 23:2)

Courtney said...

Mr. Truitt looks simply dashing with his makeover :D! lol! how fun! your pictures are truly gorgeous, and your really quite a photographer! i feel as if i'm right there with ya! yeah, that would take away from the fairy tale vision of the 18th century. those poor servants!

Anonymous said...

The mask is HILARIOUS!!!!