I was actually sweating today. I know, unbelievable, but it's true. The weather has turned warm...the high was in the mid 80s.
But, even with the extreme heat, we had a great day of worship services and fellowship. This morning, Mr. Martin picked us up around 9:30 and we went to a service at a church called Longfleet URC (United Reformed Church) where Dad preached, I played for the hymns and Mom sang. The people there are so sweet, but we had to rush off to get to another service by 11:15 at Parkstone URC where Dad preached again. Then we went next door and had a lovely lunch at a day center for older people. After lunch and a delightful dessert, there was a short service where Dad had a devotional thought and Mom and Lizzy each sang a solo and I accompanied them. After saying our goodbyes we went to a nursing home and did kind of a repeat of the day center service. The people were wonderful and so happy to see us. They were a blessing to us! Here are a few pictures. I don't have any from the church services but we did manage to get some at the Day Center and nursing home.
This picture is a bit blurred, but it shows Dad with his huge bowl of dessert. Mr. Martin came over to my chair and said, "You need to get the camera out" I turned around to see the mountain of mousse and ice cream that Dad had been given. Of course I laughed, but shortly after I was brought a similar bowl with just as much in it....it was so good (and yes, I ate all of it...wouldn't want to offend anyone, right?).
Here we are at the Day Center. It's a great place for older folks to come for the day and spend time with others.
Lizzy also sang at the Day Center. She has such a great voice!
After the Day Center we ran back to Parkstone for Lizzy and me to practice a song that we decided to do on the fly. Yesterday was Lizzy's first time to ever sing the song we decided on and then she did it perfectly! Like I said, she's great. The nursing home is more of a retirement center since people can be more independent and have their own private flats. The lady I am with below just loves it there and was singing its praises to me!
They served tea and cookies after the service which allows people to stay around and fellowship. It was fun talking to these dear people and making new friends.
Dad became friends with Doris and Kathleen. I don't have to tell you they are sweet...the picture says it all. Kathleen is blind and Doris is her friend who cares for her.
We watched Amazing Grace again this evening. I've watched it many times but it is always an encouragement and blessing to me. If you haven't seen it, you really need to stop reading this right now and go watch it. It's the story of William Wilberforce and the abolition of the slave trade in England. For more information on Wilberforce, look on my side bar under "The Right to Life" and click on the link about him. His story will encourage you to "do hard things" (click here to learn more about that.)
3 comments:
WHAT A VERY BUSY BUT BLESSED SUNDAY YOU HAVE HAD! OH, THOSE SWEET PEOPLE! WISH WE COULD HEAR LIZZY SING!
yes, i agree anonymous, i would of loved to hear her sing as well! and Mrs. Truitt too! awwww, you look so beautiful at the piano Megan!
i enjoy hearing of young people taking interest in the elderly. they do so seem to love our company, and (i think i've said this before) their stories are such fun, and their so very sweet! (unless of course its the man in Enchanted who Giselle calls after saying "you are not a very nice old man!") :D
LOL! :D
What a great post, Megan! Looks like you had a great Sunday and I love the pics!
Those people sound so nice!
~Evann~
Post a Comment