Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Joy of the Scottish!

Our day was filled up before we knew it and my body is telling me so as I sit here yawning.  It's only 11:30, why should I be tired?

We toured Edinburgh Castle today.  We had no idea how huge it is and stayed there for three hours.  We saw everything from the Scottish crown jewels to the room where King James was born, to sword fights and war museums.  Quite an incredible three hours.

 Scotland 1 038

Edinburgh Castle from afar.

Scotland 2 004

In front of the castle.

Scotland 2 005

A view from the castle.

Scotland 2 010

In one part of the castle they have an amazing exhibition with lots of mannequins and colorful paintings that illustrate the story being told.  This scene shows the rediscovery of the crown jewels.

Scotland 2 012

They have some amazing fireplaces!  My dad is like 6'2 or something and his head doesn't even reach the mantle!

Scotland 2 015

Another huge fireplace.

Then, would you believe it!  Just one day after my hopes had been dashed with my Scottish beau, I found the one.  This guy even moves.  But, not only does he move, he can do sword fights and all sorts of other fascinating stuff with weapons.  He even put his hat on my head.  Now if that's not sending a signal, I don't know what is!

Scotland 2 022

But, then again, there's always a draw back to these foreign fellows.  This time it was the sweat.  Ok, when he removed his lovely hat from my head I felt like my hair had just been washed.  Sweaty! I just don't know if I could live with that type of perspiration.

But really, I guess he did have a pretty good excuse:

Scotland 2 019

Ok, back to reality now.  We walked into the "Great Hall" to find these two guys demonstrating how different swords and weapons were used "back in the day."  Basically, how they murdered each other.  It was very interesting.  At one point I was taking a picture (there were about 200 people watching) and my red guy stopped and started talking to me.  They began posing!  Great!  My red guy was like "do you have all you want?" and "is this good?"  Uh yeah, sure. Thumbs up.  Okay.  

Scotland 2 021

Pretty awesome dudes.

Scotland 2 027

Scotland 2 035  

A really cool cannon with a really cool name.

Scotland 2 042

After a little more sightseeing, we met Kate and her husband, Simon for dinner. 

Scotland 2 045

We were going to go on a tour but were never able to find the tour group, so instead we just walked with them and they were great company and also informative guides.

Scotland 2 057

Mom saw a sign to some gardens  so we followed it and found a lovely garden tucked away off the street...an oasis in a busy city.

Scotland 2 059 

Scotland 2 063

Simon and Kate (Kate, I'll e-mail the pics we got of y'all to you!)

Scotland 2 065

Tomorrow we plan to meet up with Kate again to go to the Royal Botanical Gardens...I can smell some good picture opportunities.  Now, time to totally hit the sack (cause now it's nearly two hours since I started the post.)  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lush green garden picture is just beautiful!
Hope your dinner was a bit more edible this time.
Sorry about "the one"....can't seem to catch a break (a shower, perhaps but not a break). Guess sword-fighting-sweaty men are not for you.

Anonymous said...

BTW- what does it say on the fireplace above your head?

How is your Brixan accent coming along?

Evann said...

Wow!!! That lush green garden picture looks...fake! It's so beautiful it looks fake! Whoa.

*Grins* What is this like the fourth guy, Meg? You sure do get around. Sorry none of them seem to be the one for you. ;)

Wow! Those fireplaces are magnificent! And the attention to detail is...amazing! Why can't people make such extroadinary pieces now-a-days? :(

The castle is just...breath-taking! I sure wish I lived in that time-period. Not digging on the clothes though... :P Kilts for men? I'll pass. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yea, um, Megan..what does your dad think of all these guys who turn out not-so-good-after-all? I can't believe he hasn't grabbed you up and sent you back to the States yet. Good Grief! Maybe, Meggan, you are being just a tad bit too picky. Have you thought about that? *grin* -- no doubling over in laughter. Well, maybe it's a good thing you have not found "the one" over there across the Atlantic. We would hate to lose you.

Mark Ritchie said...

Megan,

Say hi to Simon and Kate for us!! It's so great to see pictures of them with you!

Mark & Kim

Evann said...

Ann?? Hello!! Stop talking like that! The plan IS the get Megan to live over there! THEN we all can go and "visit" her and tour England! :D LOL!! *Grins* hehe jk! (no, we'd miss you, Megan! But it would still be cool to visit...:D)

Courtney said...

LOL :D Evann, i must say, your comments are quite hilarious! i laugh at just about every one of them :D!!

hey Megan, what about the guy in your 4th picture with the red military suit on? he looks nice! :) although, i suppose a tad bit preocupied with the gold and stuff.

oh goodness, the flowers are stunningly lovely! every gardeners dream, eh Mrs. Truitt?

love reading the updates!